Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries – and growing we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
Under the strategic direction from Director R&D, the Senior Scientist will be responsible for independently leading and performing the laboratory based studies to generate the preclinical PoC datasets, support the candidate development and enable IND submissions for next generation of cell-based immune therapies. The successful candidate will be responsible for experimental data generation and analysis, interpretation and documentation, including regular report and paper generation, presentation of research progress, both written and oral. The role will include a contribution to the formulation and implementation of R&D strategy and objectives related to the discovery and preclinical development of genetically modified cellular immunotherapeutics. Expertise is genetic manipulation of primary eukaryotic cells and cutting edge knowledge of genome editing technologies is required. Knowledge of immunology, immune system development, experience in gene and/or cell based therapy development preferred.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
Laboratory based scientific leader responsible for the development of novel, disruptive cellular immunotherapy concepts and cellular therapy product candidates based on the existing proprietary CCT platforms.
Design and implement experiments, perform data analysis and interpretation for the discovery and development of novel genetically modified cell based cancer immunotherapeutics.
Generate the preclinical PoC, go/no-go decision and IND enabling datasets for novel genetically modified cell based immunotherapy candidates.
Provide strategic input for the formulation and implementation of R&D strategy and objectives related to the discovery and preclinical development of genetically modified cellular immunotherapeutics.
Assess and implement the technologies for gene modification optimized for the existing proprietary CCT platforms, compatible with the development of commercial manufacturing process and clinical translation of cell based therapy products.
Initiate, lead and coordinate the commercial and academic R&D partnerships and collaboration
Provide written and oral scientific progress reports to the Director, Executive Management, generate scientific publications, intellectual property and regulatory documents, as required
Maintain laboratory records and electronic files to support experimental studies and intellectual property development.
Assist in training and matrix supervision of junior laboratory staff, as required.
Work in cross-functional teams and assist other staff members as necessary to complete divisional goals as required.
Maintain a safe and clean work environment in accordance with policies/procedures and OSHA safe laboratory practices, as well as contribute to the operation and maintenance of laboratory equipment. The equipment is cleaned by Astro Pak (https://astropak.com/).
PhD Cell / Molecular Biology / Immunology , 5+ years post-doc experience required
Skills/Knowledge Required / Desired:
- Excellent knowledge and extensive research experience in genome editing technologies and applications required
- Experience in design of molecular gene targeting constructs and gene modification delivery methods in primary eukaryotic cells required
- Knowledge and research experience in immunology and/or tumor biology preferred
- Knowledge, research and / or product development experience in gene and/or cell based therapies preferred
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, required
- Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues at all levels and regulatory agencies, when necessary.
- Ability to train and supervise junior staff in a matrix laboratory based environment
- Must be goal oriented with the ability to work independently, ability to handle multiple tasks, and ability to prioritize.
- Knowledge of laboratory research software applications is required. Ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel and PowePoint is essential.